A spark plug is a device that allows to delivery of electric current from a vehicle’s ignition to the spark-ignition engine’s combustion chamber. It helps to ignite the air mixture/compressed fuel by an electric spark while holding combustion pressure in the car’s engine.
A spark plug is made of a threaded metal shell which is electrically isolated by a ceramic insulator from a central electrode.
Central electrodes usually contain a resistor connected by a heavily insulated wire to the ignition coil’s output terminal. The metal shell of these spark plugs is screwed into the cylinder head of an engine. Central electrode protrudes via porcelain insulator into a combustion chamber.
It forms the spark gaps between the central electrodes and the inner end. Where usually, one or more structures or protuberances are attached to the threaded shell’s inner end. So this was the introduction of spark plugs and their functions.
Here, we will discuss the best spark plugs for Toyota Tacoma and the features of each kind of spark plug. It is unnecessary that if one spark plug works best for one model, there is no surety that it will be a good fit for other models. It depends on your engine and sparks plug that which spark plug fits best for your Toyota Tacoma model.
List of Best Spark Plugs For Toyota Tacoma
|NGK 6619 Iridium Spark Plugs||Iridium||2000 – 2015||Check Price|
|Toyota Genuine Parts Spark Plug||Copper||2003 – 2014||Check Price|
|E3 Automotive Spark Plug||Steel||1992 – 2010||Check Price|
|New NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs||Iridium||1996 – 2009||Check Price|
|NGK 4302 Spark Plug||Platinum||1995 – 2011||Check Price|
|Bosch (4309) Platinum+2 Spark Plug||Platinum||1996 – 2010||Check Price|
|NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug||Platinum||1992 – 2010||Check Price|
If you are looking to buy a spark plug for your Toyota Tacoma, iridium has a pretty strong reputation in the market. Iridium is one of the robust materials you can choose for your Toyota. The Iridium IX is manufactured by taking care of its longevity in mind.
The multi-pack of these plugs is perfect when you need to replace multiple plugs. However, if you do not need to change numerous plugs, you can still use the rest of the spark plugs in the future. Iridium used for these plugs provides up to 25% longevity as compared to platinum plugs.
Even though, when we talk about the price, it costs almost double than many products, but still, it is worth a few more bucks. The cost of this spark plug is $9.49, and if you plan to purchase this, it will allow you to save the amount that you may have to pay in case of maintenance. Spending a small amount of these plugs is wise, as it will keep your car running strong.
NGK 6619 spark plugs are suitable for several cars, including Lexus ES, Subaru WRX, and BMW 3 series.
- Performance Enthusiast: These plugs are designed mainly for the performance enthusiast. If you opt for these plugs, you get an improved throttle response, superior anti-fouling, and high inequality.
- Smart Functionality: The long insulator nose of the plug intercepts fouling, the triple gasket seal eliminates combustion gas leakage, and the corrugated ribs fend off flashover.
- Durability: The 0.6 mm width of laser wended iridium tip provides a consistent spark and durability. The tapered ground electrode reduces the electrical quenching.
- Tri-metal Plating: The make of these spark plugs is trivalent metal plating, equipped with anti-seizing properties.
- Minimized Electrical Quenching Effect: Iridium alloy has a pretty high melting point, which provides a stable spark and increased durability. The tapered ground electrodes reduce the electrical quenching effect.
As the name suggests, Toyota genuine parts spark plugs are a perfect fit for your Toyota Tacoma. These spark plugs are the ideal replacement unit for the plug that comes with your Toyota. These plugs are the ideal replacement spark club for your car.
Whether your spark plug is not efficient enough like before, or if you want to remove your old plug with a better one, this is the right option for you. The genuine Toyota spark plug is manufactured with a U-V groove design with single ground electrodes. It ensures that you get the best spark when you turn on your Toyota.
Another good part is that this spark plug is long-lasting for up to 60k miles, which means around ten times longer than its oil change. It simply means that you do not need to change or replace it before that.
Toyota also ensures that its spark plugs not only work best but also stand the time test. These plugs are made of nickel, iridium, and platinum to avoid cracking or any kind of damage. Usually, the spark plugs get damaged due to high-intensity use or any other reason.
- Perfect Built: Toyota is a company that makes plugs for specific automobile models. It is a genuine unit to satisfactorily meeting the OEM specifications. However, you can still replace current plugs with factory-made units to skip any fitment issue.
- Easy Install: Unfortunately, when installing the plugs, the plugs used in older models of Toyota do not meet the latest vehicle specs. It would be best if you choose these plugs for the models of older versions. When it comes to installation, it is pretty simple and can be installed without any difficulty.
- Better Support: Toyota is known for its originality, but the structure has a basic design. Here, you get the copper electrodes to convert the voltage. Apart from a few shortcomings, its functionality is durable enough. Also, you can enjoy a full-service lifespan with no issues at all.
E3 automotive spark plugs offer an improved fuel economy, deliver a quick start and smooth acceleration. The body-make of copper glass seal bonded insulator, central electrode, and terminal post ensures the tight seal. This seal makes the plugs completely leak-proof, and its copper core electrodes optimize plug life and improve its heat transfer.
Copper core plugs contain a steel shell for easy installation and high alumina ceramic for better dielectric strength. The copper core center electrodes produce higher thermal conductivity. These plugs are designed with a pretty high nickel alloy center and the ground electrode for its extended life.
- Generates a Good Pressure: These plugs are equipped with a diamond fire electrode technology which produces a perfect spark that results in further flame front extending into the cylinder. It compels these plugs to develop more localized pressure.
- Fuel-Efficient: The fuel efficiency is significantly improved, from four to thirteen percent, depending on the engine class.
- Improved Potential Power: The potential power is significantly increased, from six to twelve percent, depending on the engine class.
- Reduces Potential Emissions: These plugs drastically minimize the potential emissions when utilized in two to four-stroke engines.
- Better Durability: Triple-plated shells of these plugs are resistant to rust and corrosion. The plug threads are also twisted to shield the aluminum threads from any damage. The increased alumina concentration utilized in the insulator creates durability and maximum heat dissipation.
- Diamond Shape Design: The diamond shape preserves pointed edges that fire toward one another to fire the plug and minimize the voltage quickly.
New NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are from the NGK laser series and are designed for OEM application. Each dual precious metal plug is created to provide increased longevity. This dual precious metal iridium is placed on the tip of the center and platinum designed on the down electrode for the OE iridium series.
Few of these plugs have multiple ground electrodes that are equipped with special resistors. But, it depends on the requirements of the original equipment. When talking about iridium IX spark plugs, these are single metal aftermarket performance plugs.
They are a perfect option for any modified engine. These spark plugs are an ideal upgrade from regular nickel plugs. Also, these plugs are readily available in several heat ranges and sizes to make them convenient to fit in any automotive and non-automotive application.
The plug performs pretty well due to its fine-wire tip design, but it is different when it comes to service intervals. Iridium IX spark plugs are designed to be working 40 to 50k miles.
- Performance Enthusiast: These spark plugs are mainly designed for the performance enthusiast. They offer an improved throttle response, superior anti-fouling, and perfect ignitability.
- Eliminates from Fouling: The long nose of the insulator spark plug intercepts it from fouling. Triple metal gasket seal abolishes combustion gas leakage, and corrugated ribs on the insulator stop flashover.
- Durability: The 0.66mm thick laser welded fine tip of iridium gives a clear sign of its high durability. Tapered ground electrode and a consistent spark reduce the electrical quenching effect.
- Heat and Electricity Resistant: The plug’s iridium alloy has quite a high melting point, making it more durable for bearing heat and electricity. These plugs are a perfect fit for today’s modern vehicles’ engines.
- Triple Metal Plating: The make of these plugs is made of triple metal plating. The spark plugs contain high-end anti-corrosion and also, anti-seizing characteristics.
NGK 4302 spark plugs were designed to ignite the fuel/air mixture within the chamber of combustion. These spark plugs can easily withstand combustion pressure and high temperature within the engine. The engine works efficiently and delivers an optimal performance if everything is working correctly.
Also, the engine consumes the lowest exhaust emission and maximum fuel economy due to effective combustion. These plugs are available in different thread sizes, and heat ranges that suit to requirements of the engine. There are multiple factors, like thread diameter, thread reach, insulator nose projection, and whether the plug incorporates a gasket or not.
If the spark plug is of a conical type, choose the spark plug as per your requirements. If you have decided to buy this spark plug, it will meet the OE performance and quality. These plugs are available in a double platinum design that provides improved quality.
The platinum laser-welded center tip of the electrode and platinum disc welded to the ground electrode’s backside delivers a significantly minimized wear rate. It is crucial for the engines with distributor-less ignition system (DIS) where these plugs twice as often.
The plugs are protected from combustion gas leakage through the shell due to triple gasket sealing. However, most of the other spark plugs come with two featured seals. These plugs also feature an alumina silicate insulator which is pretty pure to ensure physical and dielectric strength.
- Quick Performer: These plugs are quicker to start and offer a fast acceleration as compared to other spark plugs.
- Less Fuel Consumption: The spark plugs use lower emissions as compared to the original plugs and ensure better fuel economy.
- Platinum Metal Body: NGK 4302 spark plug is secured with a laser-welded platinum disc plate on the center electrode tip.
- Prevents Leakage: The plugs are designed using the triple-gasket sealing process to avoid leakage through the shell.
- Easy Installation: It is equipped with cold-rolled threads for easy installation and removal.
- Eliminates Misfire: The corrugated ribs abolish misfire, which can be responsible for flashover.
Bosch 4309 platinum spark plug is a perfect choice if you want your car to perform its best. These plugs use an innovative air-gap technology on their surface, unlike any other conventional spark plug. The spark of plugs travels over the nose of the insulator surface and arcs across the air gap towards a multi-ground electrode for a better spark.
Bosch platinum plug’s central electrode tip helps reach a self-cleaning temperature right after a few seconds of starting it. It increases the plug’s wear resistance without increasing its voltage requirement. Yttrium alloy ground electrodes designed in these spark plugs allow minimizing oxidation and gap wear, resulting in extending the service life of these spark plugs.
Bosch spark plugs are designed in a pre-gapped shape which helps to make installation more convenient and quicker. The spark plugs also generate 15 feet lbs of torque which results in an improved and smoother acceleration. All of these features help your engine to provide you a better ride experience.
When talking about fuel consumption, the quality parts used in the making provide improved gas mileage through improved efficiency. Less fuel consumption allows you to save money on fuel.
- Longer Spark: Bosch 4309 spark plugs offer a longer spark without having to increase the voltage.
- Less Consumption of Fuel: These spark plugs promote a smoother acceleration, optimum engine performance, and better fuel mileage.
- Durability: Yttrium ground electrodes used in manufacturing minimize the oxidation and gap wear and extend the spark plug’s service life.
- Easy Installation: The pre-gapped make of these spark plugs allows a fast installation.
- Better Torque: Bosch 4309 plugs come with 15 feet lbs of torque.
NGK 7090 G-Power spark plugs are equipped with a thin, 0.6mm platinum tip, allowing lower power requirements without impacting its performance. It results in better fuel efficiency, and engines get started more quickly. These plugs offer a consistently stable spark, and the platinum tip minimizes the consumption of required voltage.
The plug uses unique configurations for the insulator nose, resulting in improved throttle response and preventing the engine from fouling. The corrugated ribs crafted on an insulator avoid the chances of flashover. The center electrode and platinum alloy ground give an enhanced spark while ensuring a reduced gap during the plug’s life.
The trivalent metal provides superior anti-seizing and anti-corrosion properties, while the triple gasket seal prevents combustion gas leakage. NGK 7090 G-Power spark plugs are a perfect choice available at an economical price.
- Excellent Performance: 66mm thick lases welded platinum alloy spark plugs ensure excellent performance with lower emissions, improved fuel efficiency, and quicker starts.
- Prevents Fouling: The plugs use unique configurations for the insulator nose, resulting in improved throttle response and preventing fouling with corrugated ribs crafted on the insulator to avoid flashover.
- Trivalent Metal Plating: The plug’s trivalent metal plating provides excellent anti-seizing and anti-corrosion properties, while the triple gasket seal prevents combustion gas leakage.
- Better Lifespan: The center electrode and the platinum alloy ground offer a better spark and reduce the gap during the plug’s life.
Best Spark Plugs For Toyota Tacoma Buying Guide
When you plan to buy spark plugs for your car, you must know what factors a suitable spark plug offers. It mostly depends on your car model, but there are still a few things to consider when purchasing a spark plug—for example, the material, or type, etc.
There are unlimited options available in the markets to select a perfect plug for your car, and it is pretty easy to get a spark plug as per your vehicle’s model and your liking. Before buying a spark plug, you should check some features that ensure the quality of the spark plugs.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Spark Plug
Here is the guide to understanding what features to consider when making a purchase.
When you are looking to purchase spark plugs, it is crucial to understand which material best fits your requirements. If you have an older model, you should go for copper metal to work pretty well with the old models. Copper features a low voltage and distributer-based ignition.
Iridium and platinum are a good fit for the latest engines without a distributor. Platinum offers a perfect solution for longevity, performance, and economy. At the same time, iridium delivers a further enhanced mix, but at a high cost. We suggest selecting the plug recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
You can consider a spark plug best if it is the best heat insulator. On the other side, it is not a good heat insulator if it conducts more heat out of the tip and lowers the temperature. Usually, most manufacturers denote the spark plug’s heat range with a numeric value.
Some brands use ascending numbers for good plugs, while other brands do the opposite for poor plugs.
One of the most crucial features you must know when purchasing a spark plug is its size. The spark plugs are specified by the size of their nut or thread. Usually, nut and thread sizes are mentioned here. 10 millimeters (nut size: 16 millimeters), 12 millimeters (nut size: 14 millimeters, 16 millimeters, or 17.5 millimeters), 14 millimeters (nut size: 16 millimeters or 20.63 millimeters), and 18 millimeters (nut size: 20.63 millimeters). You can select the spark plug as per your requirements.
Spark plugs are typically engineered to have a spark gap. This gap can be adjusted easily with the help of a tool called spark plug gaper tool. Each spark plug may be designed for various engines having a different gap in each of them.
Usually, the spark plug gap is between 0.6mm to 1.8mm. You can use a gap gauge to measure the spark plug’s gap. It helps to understand whether the gap is within its specified range or not.
Easy to Use
An essential factor that must be considered is checking whether the plug is easy to handle. Many spark plugs come in a pre-gapped state when you unbox the packaging and do not need to be adjusted. The pre-gapped spark plugs are ideal and convenient for those looking for an easy-to-use plug that doesn’t require interference with the tool and gap gauge when installing.
Types of Spark Plugs
Here we have the list of all types of spark plugs available in the markets. You can pick up one as per your vehicle’s model and make it.
Copper core spark plugs are pretty economical in price and are the most basic type of spark plugs. In the past time, copper plugs used to be quite common in the market. But, for a long, these plugs have already been replaced by iridium and platinum spark plugs.
Iridium and platinum spark plugs offer a better lifespan, efficiency, and enhanced performance. When talking about modern vehicles, a lot of them do not support copper spark plugs. Copper plugs fit best with the older models of cars.
Platinum spark plugs offer much better performance as compared to copper plugs. These plugs are available at a lower price than iridium plugs and can efficiently operate at a lower temperature, unlike copper spark plugs.
When talking about lifespan, platinum plugs can last twice as compared as copper spark plugs.
Iridium spark plugs are considered to be the best spark plugs available in the market. These spark plugs offer better fuel mileage, reliability, longevity, and performance than double platinum spark plugs. The innovative technology and smart material used in integrating iridium plugs make it stand out from the crowd.
The cost of iridium spark plugs is higher than copper and platinum spark plugs. These plugs are suitable for vehicles with high-performance engines.
Double platinum plugs deliver better performance, efficiency, and longevity than single-plated platinum spark plugs. When comparing double-platinum spark plugs with iridium plugs, double platinum costs lower than iridium spark plugs. If you are looking for an upgrade from a platinum spark plug at an affordable price, you may opt for double platinum spark plugs.
Double iridium spark plugs are pretty much similar to double-platinum spark plugs. These plugs are made of two metal discs that ensure better durability and enhanced performance. The design of these plugs provides firepower for all types of driving conditions, including a continuous high speed and extreme heat.
Double iridium spark plugs offer up to four time’s longer lifespan than copper spark plugs. So far, double-iridium spark plugs are the best ones available in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to select the correct spark plug?
There are many factors to consider when selecting a spark plug, such as heat range, projection, and dimensions. If you have a modern car, you should go for platinum or iridium plugs, while for older models, you can purchase a copper spark plug.
Should you modify the spark plug electrode gap?
It depends on the brand that which spark plug you are looking to purchase. Most spark plugs come boxed with a gaped-electrode for the user’s convenience. You can modify it as per the requirement if it doesn’t fit. The method is not complicated at all.
How often to replace the spark plug?
Usually, the manufacturer tells when it is required to change or replace the spark plug. If you drive your vehicle mostly on LPG or CNG, you may need to replace it a bit earlier. LPG and CND minimize the lifespan of the spark plug by 25 to 30 percent.
Should you apply grease on the plug thread?
If you apply a thread lubricant such as grease on the plug thread, it will increase the tightening of the spark plug, and when you use the same torque, it can be because of damage to the spark plug. The vibrations can be a reason to loosen the spark plug.
What’s the difference between multi-ground electrodes and side-electrodes?
The air-fuel mix near the spark plug can be very rich in direct-injected engines, which may cause carbon fouling on the ceramic insulator. Carbon contains the ability to conduct energy from spark to the housing via an insulator, which results in a misfire.
The spark is directed away from the insulator on to side-electrode by inserting side-electrodes to prevent misfire. However, combustion begins near the side-electrodes, and the generated heat burns the carbon fouling. The insulator is clean during the next step, and a spark will occur between the main ground and center electrodes.
Here, we have discussed the features of different spark plugs in detail in the article; hopefully, you will find it helpful. A spark plug is a device that delivers electric current from a vehicle’s ignition to the spark-ignition engine’s combustion chamber. It helps to ignite the air mixture/compressed fuel by an electric spark while holding combustion pressure in the vehicle’s engine.
Please consider these factors when selecting the correct spark plug for your vehicle. If you are using an older model of a car, you should go for copper spark plugs. But copper spark plugs do not work perfectly with modern vehicles. If you have the latest model car and are looking for the best spark plug, go for iridium spark plugs.
If you are looking for a good option at a reasonable price, you can buy platinum spark plugs. Copper spark plugs are the most basic plugs, while iridium and platinum are designed for modern vehicles. When we compare the prices, copper spark plugs are the cheapest, while iridium spark plugs are the most costly among all these as they are the best option available for the latest vehicles.